This promises to be an exciting year for Daytona State's varsity sports program. We continue to embrace our holistic approach to bridging the principles of athletics and competition with the high academic standards and achievement expected from our student-athletes. We also challenge our students and staff to be servant leaders, and their enthusiastic involvement in numerous community service learning projects continues to make a positive difference in our local community.
The new academic year begins with great anticipation. The thrill of upcoming competition is heightened by the excellent history of our athletic program and its student-athletes. On the field and in the fairways, our Daytona State Falcons distinguished themselves among the nation's best in 2015-2016, with an NJCAA National Championship in Women's Golf, its 8th national title since 2003, and Mid-Florida Conference Championships in Men's and Women’s Basketball. The women’s basketball team also earned its first berth to the NJCAA National Championships in Lubbock, TX in March.
This coming year also marks the inaugural year for the new Men’s and Women’s Soccer teams which will both begin competition in August. Both new head coaches, Brittany Jones and Bart Sasnett, have recruited over 50 new student-athletes collectively to join the Falcon soccer program. Both teams will play their inaugural season this year at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, while a brand new on-campus soccer stadium is being built with a scheduled completion date of July, 2017.
Also this past year, our athletes proved once again that Daytona State's philosophy of putting academics first is helping to prepare tomorrow's leaders on and off the field. Academic honors included:
- National Academic Team of the Year (9th time) – Baseball (3.62 team GPA)
- National Academic Team of the Year (4th time) – Women’s Golf (3.90 team GPA – highest team GPA in the NJCAA across all sports offerings)
- Women's Softball – 8th place, (3.57 team GPA)
- Women’s Volleyball – 59th place, (3.30 team GPA)
- FCSAA Male Academic Team of the Year – Baseball (10th consecutive)
- FCSAA Female Academic Team of the Year – Women’s Golf (3rd consecutive)
- 15 NJCAA Exemplary Academic Achievement Awards (3.6 GPA)
- 14 NJCAA Superior Academic Achievement (3.8 GPA)
- 6 NJCAA Pinnacle Award for Academic Excellence (4.0 GPA)
- Athletic Department student cohort earned a cumulative 3.34 GPA for the 2015/16 academic year.
This year promises to be a continuation of academic success for our teams and athletes. I encourage you to get out and see some exciting events and support our student-athletes in all their endeavors during their time at Daytona State. Our collective support matters.
Join me and let's make this year the best ever for our athletic program!
Will Dunne, Athletics Director
Daytona State College